Forum

December 2023 TAT Forum

This month’s contents include:

Convictions & Concerns: Problems as Opportunities: Relax Into It, by Tyler M.

TAT Foundation News: Including the calendar of 2024 TAT in-person events and a listing of local group meetings organized by TAT members.

Humor

Inspiration & Irritation

Reader Commentary: Do you agree with ChatGPT’s response to the question “What is the shortcut to spiritual awakening?” Why or why not? Is there anything it missed or a part it gets wrong?

Founder’s Wisdom

A New Home for TAT update

Saturday, December 9, 2023
December TAT Talk
More information and registration

Keep informed of TAT events and receive our free monthly Forum filled with inspiring essays, poems and images.

Receive new-Forum notifications each month and keep them coming:

Read More

(As an Amazon Associate, TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through links on our website)

Convictions & Concerns

TAT members share their personal convictions and/or concerns

Problems as Opportunities: Relax Into It

Mike Conners came to me in a dream a few nights ago. I took it as a message to share something we both found. A deep bow to Mr. Conners.

The I-thought (or imaginary personal self) doesn’t get to decide to take delivery (accept or reject) what is written below. Taking delivery of pointers happens or it doesn’t—the I-thought just thinks it has a role in it. Regardless, where the inspiration flows the energy goes.

As you walk around in everyday life, you have what you think are problems. In life there are sources of annoyance, fear, confusion, etc. Every human being has problems—and every human being wants to solve their problems, or be free of them. Very few human beings realize their problems are actually wonderful opportunities to get onto your natural state of Being.

How so? The world you are looking at is a reflection of your consciousness as a whole (e.g. the sum total of your thoughts and feelings). Most of your thoughts/feelings are in the subconscious. You aren’t aware of them. But they are there waiting to come up when something in life triggers them to come up. You know this from your own experience. One moment you are fine, the next somebody says something and you have disturbing thoughts/feelings bombarding you from some event years ago. You have been carrying that event from the past, it hasn’t gone anywhere. It was just below the surface (the iceberg metaphor).

If you attempt to deal with the problem on the level of the problem, you will fail….

Read More

~ Thanks to Tyler M., a TAT friend. Photo by dominik hofbauer on Unsplash. Comments or questions? Please email reader commentary to the TAT Forum.

TAT Foundation News

It’s all about “ladder work” – helping and being helped

Richard Rose, the founder of the TAT Foundation, spent his life searching for the Truth, finding it, and helping others to find their Way. Although not well known to the public, he touched the lives of thousands of spiritual seekers through his books and lectures and through personal contacts with local study groups that continue to work with his teachings today. He felt strongly that helping others generates help for ourselves as well in our climb up the ladder to the golden find beyond the mind.

Call To Action For TAT Forum Reader

With the intention of increasing awareness of TAT’s meetings, books, and the Forum among younger serious seekers, and to increase awareness of ways to approach the search for self-definition, the TAT Foundation is now on Instagram.

You can help! A volunteer is producing shareable text-quote and video content of Richard Rose and TAT-adjacent teachers. We need your suggestions for short, provocative 1-3 sentence quotes or 1 minute or less video clips of people like Rose, Art Ticknor, Bob Fergeson, Tess Hughes, Bob Cergol, Bart Marshall, Shawn Nevins, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Paul Constant, & other favorites. (An example here is selected by the TAT member who volunteers to oversee the Instagram account.)

Please send favorite inspiring/irritating quotes—from books you have by those authors, from the TAT Forum, or any other place—to TAT quotes. If you have favorite parts of longer videos (ex: from a talk at a past TAT meeting), please email a link to the video and a timestamp.

Thank you!

TAT Foundation Press’s latest publications

Shades of Real: Poems in a World of Wonder

Shades of Real by Kevin Shuey is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Discover a captivating compilation of poems that gracefully ride the waves of each fleeting moment, inviting readers into moments of tranquil excitement and resounding quietude. Within these pages lie enigmatic verses that lead us to the very heart of our true selves, unraveling the profound mysteries that define us.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Pouring Concrete: A Zen Path to the Kingdom of God – Expanded Edition

Pouring Concrete by Bob Harwood is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Individuals who approach this book with receptivity and a readiness to scrutinize their culturally ingrained notions and convictions regarding the fundamental fabric of existence are likely to experience a multitude of profound insights. By embracing the diverse recommendations within these pages, one may unlock a series of existential revelations that have the potential to reshape their perspective on reality.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Random rotation of
TAT Foundation Books & Videos

Mister Rose: the video The Mister Rose video: "There's a system that searches for the Truth, and it's a process of challenging everything."

Richard Rose speaks directly to the hearts and minds of his listeners. This special video serves as an excellent introduction to his thoughts on the spiritual path. Read more and watch a video trailer.

2024 TAT Meeting Calendar

April Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, April 12-14, 2024
June Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, June 14-16, 2024
August Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, August 16-18, 2024
November Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, November 8-10, 2024

Comments or questions? Please email TAT Foundation events.

Photo of TAT’s open door by Phil Franta

TAT’s YouTube Channel

Have you seen the TAT Foundation’s YouTube channel? Subscribe now for spiritual inspiration (and irritation)!

Volunteers have been updating the channel with hours of new content! They’ve also curated some great playlists of talks by Richard Rose, teacher talks from recent & not so recent TAT meetings, episodes of the Journals of Spiritual Discovery podcast, and other great TAT related videos from around the internet.

Featuring: Richard Rose, Bob Cergol, Shawn Nevins, Bob Fergeson, Mike Conners, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Bob Harwood, Tess Hughes, Art Ticknor, Shawn Pethel, Tyler Matthew and other speakers.

This month’s video is a short clip from a talk by Tyler M:

Local Group News

(Groups with recently updated information are listed first. Click the “read more” link to see a complete listing of local groups. )

Update from the Central New Jersey Group Central New Jersey Self Inquiry:
The Central Jersey Self Inquiry Group welcomes serious participants. We are a small group and meet every other Sunday from 6pm to 7pm eastern time on zoom.
Members of the NY City Self Inquiry Group and the Central Jersey Inquiry Group worked together to hold an in-person, one-day retreat in Hamilton, NJ recently.
The retreat began with a guest leading a Buddhist lovingkindness meditation. Participants shared what arose for them in the meditation. Next, a member offered an inquiry question for the group, which was answered round-robin style. Then another member offered the poem “As I Began to Love Myself” (attributed to Charlie Chaplin). All group members were invited to share what came up for them, with inquiry questions from the other members. See more details below in the Inspiration & Irritation section (December 2023 TAT Forum).
~ For meeting info: facebook.com/groups/429437321740752. Questions? for more details.

Update for the Online Self-Inquiry Book Club:
> The next book is The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss by Michael Langford. The plan is to read 2 chapters at a time meeting first and third Sundays rom 2:00 PM ET–3:30 PM ET:
– Dec. 3: Chapters 7 & 8.
– Dec. 17: Chapters 9 & 10.
For more information on book club participation, see the meeting website (link above).
TAT Forum readers are welcome to drop in any time (invitation to Sunday meetings).

Update from the Pittsburgh, PA self-inquiry group:
> In-person meetings 1st Mondays 2-4 pm Squirrel Hill Public Library meeting room. Monthly Monday evening meetings at Panera, Blvd of Allies in Oakland, near the college campuses.
> Online group confrontation and individual contributions every Wed, 8:00 pm ET via Zoom.
> Use the e-mail link below for invitations to all meetings and to receive internal email announcements.
– Sun, Dec 3: Online Book Club.
– Mon, Dec 4: 2-4 PM in-person monthly Pittsburgh meeting.
– Wed, Dec 6: Online Guest Host: TBD; Topic: TBD.
– Wed, Dec 13: Online Guest Host: TBD; Topic: TBD.
– Sun, Dec 17: Online Book Club.
– Mon, Dec 18: In-person Oakland meeting 7-9 PM: email for details.
– Wed, Dec 20: Online Guest Host: TBD; Topic: TBD.
– Mon, Dec 25: Online Christmas Day party 2-4 PM ET.
– Wed, Dec 27: Online Guest Speaker Tyler M.
– Sun, Dec 31: Combined confrontation meeting with the Irish group 2-4 PM ET.
> All Forum subscribers are welcome to join us.
Email to receive weekly topics with preparatory notes and Zoom invitations. Current events are listed on Meetup as Pittsburgh Self-inquiry Group and on www.pghsig.org.

Read More

Members-Only Area

A password-protected section of the website is available for TAT members. (Note that there’s an occasional glitch that, when you try to link to the members-only area or a sections within it, you’ll get a page-not-found error. If you try the link a second time, it should work.) Contents include:

• How you can help TAT and fellow seekers,
  • Audio recordings of selected sessions from 2008–2019 in-person meetings and from February and November 2021 Zoom meetings,
  • Resources and ideas for those planning a group spiritual retreats,
  • Photographs of TAT meeting facilities, the Richard Rose grave site, a rare 1979 photo, and aerial photos of the Rose farm,
  • Presenters’ talk notes from April TAT meetings in 2005–2007, and
  • TAT News Letters from 1996–2013 and Annual Retrospectives from 1973 thru 2011. The Retrospectives from 1973–1985 were written by Richard Rose and are replete with ideas on the workings of a spiritual group—rich historical content.
  • TAT policies, TAT business meeting notes, and other information.

Latest recordings:

TAT’s November 2021 online gathering, titled What Do You Really, Really Want From Life?: 3.5 hours of selected sessions.

In Thought, Word and Deed : 2.5 hours of selected sessions.

TAT’s August 2019 Workshop was titled Beyond Mindfulness: Meditation and the Path Within and included three guest speakers who each led separate workshops. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Mindfulness. Is it just another spiritual buzzword?” with Bob Cergol,
  • “The Path of Direct Sensory Perception” with Bob Harwood, and
  • “The Art of Mindfulness is the Passion for Truth” with Paul Rezendes.

TAT’s June 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Between You and the Infinite. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Coming Home (aka The End of Seeking)” by Don Oakley, and
  • “What’s in the Way?” by Eshwar Segobind.

TAT’s April 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Once in a Lifetime is Now. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Recognizing the Human Dilemma” by Norio Kushi,
  • “Strategies for Self-Realization” by Bart Marshall,
  • Untitled session by Paul Hedderman, and
  • “A Session in the Now” by Paul Rezendes.

Please us if you have questions. (Look here for info on TAT membership.)

Amazon and eBay

Let your Amazon purchases and eBay sales raise money for TAT!

As an Amazon Associate, TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through the above link or other links on our website. Click on the link and bookmark it in your browser for ease of use.

TAT has registered with the eBay Giving Works program. You can list an item there and select TAT to receive a portion of your sale. Or if you use the link and donate 100% of the proceeds to TAT, you won’t pay any seller fees when an item sells and eBay will transfer all the funds to TAT for you. Check out our Giving Works page on eBay. Click on the “For sellers” link on the left side of that page for details.

Downloadable/rental versions of the Mister Rose video and of April TAT talks Remembering Your True Desire:

Read More

Your Contributions to TAT News

TAT founder Richard Rose believed that working with others accelerates our retreat from untruth. He also felt that such efforts were most effective when applied with discernment, meaning working with others on the rungs of the ladder closest to our own. The TAT News section is for TAT members to communicate about work they’ve been doing with or for other members and friends. Please your “ladder work” news.

Humor {(h)yo͞omər}

“One thing you must be able to do in the midst
of any experience is laugh. And experience
should show you that it isn’t real, that it’s a
movie. Life doesn’t take you seriously, so why
take it seriously.” ~ Richard Rose, Carillon

12 Days of Seeking

From Tara S, a little joke, inspired by and dedicated to Leesa. Photo by Mel Poole on Unsplash.

7 Years of Not Seeing

~ Thanks to BH and Twitter for Android.

Best Friend

~ Thanks to Paul Constant. Photo and additional dialogue from Marilyn York.

Inspiration & Irritation

Irritation moves us; inspiration provides a direction

Countless Lies

If we allow that the 1st lie we told ourselves was around the age of 7, the so-called age of reason, then by the time you are 21 you have repeated the lie to yourself countless times each and every one of the 5,110 days that have passed you by.

By the time you are 30, 7,665 days of countless times you’ve repeated the lie to yourself.

By the time you reach 50 the countless daily lies are multiplied by 15,695.

If you make it to 75 the entrenchment is 24,820 days of countless daily lies—2.2 billion continuous seconds of life lived reinforcing the lie.

Now—do you really think that asking yourself—if you are lucky—once-a-day, maybe in earnest, or more likely, only earnest once in a blue-moon when a random life event knocks the pillars of your ego out from under you—that it is enough to counter the lie that you’ve lived that you are the personality that owns a body that is animated by an eternal soul—placing that personality anterior to everything that preceded it? Then what are you? What will remain of you after death?

To answer that, change the vector of your attention from looking away from doubt to staring directly into it. It is a window into the Silence where the certainty of Being displaces all doubts.

~ Thanks to Bob cergol, from a talk given by Bob at the September 2012 TAT weekend gathering. Image by jacqueline macou from Pixabay.

Man Dies From Poisonous Bite; Brings Back Messages From The Other Side (NDE)

“It was the strangest thing. I’m in my hospital bed, talking to my family, trying to operate this body, and it’s so taxing. It’s taking so much effort that, at some points, I would take a break, and I would step out of my body, take a break from trying to operate it like that, and I could see myself in the bed, but I was still talking like my body is on autopilot … like it’s still operating, I’m still talking, I’m just not doing this really direct, manual influence on it any more. And I’m listening to what I’m saying. It’s the strangest thing. I heard myself talking, and I’m like ‘Well, I wonder what I’m talking about now?’ because I was also looking at other things, and I’d look back at myself and I’d listen, and I’m like ‘Yep, yep, I’m telling it like it is.’ I can’t explain that, how it works exactly, but that definitely was part of the experience, and it made perfect sense to me while I was out of my body. And thinking about it now, like I don’t know how in the world, you know, we go on autopilot? What is that? I don’t know….” ~ Ryan

Local Group Retreat

One member of the New York City and 6 members of the Central Jersey Inquiry Group worked together to hold a one-day retreat recently. The retreat was held in person at an art studio in Hamilton, NJ.

It began with a guest leading a Buddhist lovingkindness meditation. Participants shared what arose for them in the meditation.

Next, a member offered an inquiry question for the group, which was answered round-robin style. The prompt: “I talk to groups studying the most advanced spiritual teachings and sometimes these people wonder why nothing is happening in their lives. Their motive is the attainment of inner peace for themselves—which is a selfish motive. You will not find it with this motive. The motive, if you are to find inner peace, must be an outgoing motive.” – Peace Pilgrim.

Another member offered the poem “As I began to love Myself” (attributed to Charlie Chaplin).

All group members were invited to share what came up for them, with inquiry questions from the other members.

As the group finished for the afternoon, an audio selection from The Center for Nonviolent Communication www.cnvc.org/ was played.

~ Thanks to Eric C. Photo by Tegan Mierle on Unsplash.

The Stoic Art of Not Panicking
Ryan Holiday Speaks to the U.S. Marine Corps

“The impediment to action advances action. What’s in the way becomes the way.” ~ Marcus Aurelius

Please your thoughts on the above items.

Reader Commentary

Encouraging interactive readership among TAT members and friends

A reader wrote that what would make the Forum more interesting would be:

Hearing from people who are searching—and have questions instead of those providing endless advice and “answers.” What challenges they are facing. What their doubts and questions are. How they perceive their path is going. What they are doing in their lives. Where they think they will end up, etc., etc.

Can you help make the Forum more interesting?

The Reader Commentary question for the November TAT Forum:

Do you agree with ChatGPT’s response to the question “What is the shortcut to spiritual awakening?” Why or why not? Is there anything it missed or a part it gets wrong?

Responses follow.

From Rob-in Leeds:

I guess my final conclusion is: No!
Because it offers no practical advice on the how of any of the areas of advice given:
1. Meditation
2. Self-inquiry
3. Mindfulness
4. Service
5. Surrender
Nor does it caution the prompter to be aware of the downsides or pitfalls associated with any of 1-5. Especially in my experience the importance of TAT values such as Friendship and Friends on the search for deeper meaning as I have found in my interaction with friends of the TAT community across the world.

From Patrick K:

ChatGPT gives me the sense of a robotic, sterile, alienating influence for people. For me it is just regurgitating the usual trendy sounding propaganda that suits popular socioeconomic agendas. It is good in a way since it seems to irritate me a lot.

Some things it missed for me were:

• Buffers/chief features/prides/defences/compensations/unconscious drives/egos/archetypes. Gurdjieff brought a great concept/observation to the table when it comes to making progress with self-inquiry. How can a seeker get past his/her own “chief features” when his body/mind is hardwired for survival and therefore builds buffers/barriers to seeing him/herself clearly? To me a process of friendly “confrontational” group self inquiry is advantageous for these chief features to loosen up and eventually be seen.
Read More

From Paul Rezendes:

First of all, I don’t think there’s a shortcut to awakening. A shortcut implies going from point A to point B. It seems to me point A is already point B. We are just not aware of that. Most of ChatGPT’s suggestions revolve around time and getting from one place to another. I’m not sure there is an understanding that awakening is not of time. It seems to me that awakening is something that happens timelessly and without effort on the part of the self. Although, I must add, even as the self tries to understand, at some point, its efforts can be seen as hopeless and blind, but not from its point of view or will.

My comments on ChatGPT’s suggestions:

Meditation: Meditation is a powerful tool for self-awareness and can help you connect with your inner self. Regular meditation can help you to quiet your mind, increase your self-awareness, and cultivate a sense of inner peace. Meditation can be a good practice, but when it becomes a means to an end, is one really meditating or is one seeking a goal through meditation? In that scenario, it seems to me that the goal is more important and meditation is secondary. Is one’s heart really in meditation or the goal? What does that mean for the quality of the meditation?

Self-inquiry: Self-inquiry is the process of questioning your thoughts and beliefs to uncover deeper truths about yourself and the world around you. This practice can help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself and the nature of reality. Self-inquiry can also become a means to an end, but if there is a passion for truth in self-inquiry, then it seems to me it can open a lot of doors to who we really are.

Mindfulness: Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment and fully engaged in the experience of life. By cultivating mindfulness, you can develop a greater sense of awareness and a deeper connection to your inner self. This seems like a self-centered activity. There’s a lot of self-concern here. Maybe that’s what needs to be seen.

Service: Serving others can be a powerful way to connect with your higher self and cultivate a sense of purpose and meaning in your life. By helping others, you can tap into your innate sense of compassion and connect with the interconnectedness of all things. This looks like more ambition, more self-concern. Where is the passion for truth in this? It seems to be all about self-improvement.

Surrender: Surrendering to the present moment and trusting in the universe can help you to release attachment to outcomes and cultivate a sense of peace and commitment. This practice involves letting go of the need to control and accepting what is in the present moment. More ideas on about what to do for the doer who is trying to improve themselves. It is all about me, me, me. How can I advance and be a better person, be more spiritual, etc.

From Elena C:

I suppose I agree with it. It says that the path of awakening is unique to each of us and that it’s a journey, not a destination. As for the shortcuts, ChatGPT describes things a person can work on to aim toward spiritual awakening. People can spiritually awaken at different moments in their lives. Our environment, research, and events that occurred in the past are some of the things that can influence us.

From K:

I don’t think there is a shortcut nor one way to fit all to spiritual awakening because every one has their unique backgrounds, life experiences, beliefs and ideas.

However, common practices could apply to all paths like meditation, self-inquiry, reading, or group discussion, etc., upon one’s choice or preference.

From Dan McLaughlin:

I think the quality of reply is equivalent to the quality of the question … both being built of currently acceptable answers. I think the acceptability of the reply is consistent with the sincerity in which the question’s aim is held.

There’s truth in sincerity. It’s important to get a feel for it. Drop the idea of anyone existing outside of tension ever. And drop the idea of nobody existing within tension ever—regardless of how ideal that might appear to you now. The primary tension of the former: the viewer and the view holds here, period. How seriously it can be taken changes, and it’s never so serious as to self-deny and call it truth. I can’t imagine post-realization speaking to half the story in service of the truth. I see both self and no-self as actual and equal, not as theory. I don’t know why one would insist on one side over the other unless they were trying to escape tension or at the end of the productive variety. No surprise, the same formula is applied to thoughts and feelings, silence and questions. “All of me loves all of you.” – John Legend. Do “everything all at once.” – “Pathfinder” by Richard Rose

Folks note the paradox of existence without seeking to connect this with an invitation to just be sincere. “Paradoxical thinking” is simply a way of allowing us to address the question differently. It is not about A or B, but about discovering which parts of A and B are important to oneself.

From Sonia Cruz:

I was looking forward to finding flaws on ChatGPT’s response to the question “What is the shortcut to spiritual awakening?” I looked at the response from every angle and concluded that ChatGPT presents a strong guideline that is hard for me to argue about.

Having said that, I found myself looking outside the box and this is what I found:

Read More

From Vince L:

The “short answer” to the question is “yes.” I agree with ChatGPT’s response as far as it goes. All of the suggestions listed, whether one practices some or all of them, can be useful to the spiritual seeker. And yes, as ChatGPT says, patience, perseverance, and a willingness to explore and learn are indispensable to the search. All of these things when practiced on a daily basis will instill discipline, remind the seeker that his life is merely an interlude, generate the motivation and enthusiasm to persist in the spiritual search, and create a structured lifestyle conducive to the opening of oneself to Grace. Hopefully, these suggestions can lead seekers to find their “shortcut” to Awakening.

However, I fear that the “long answer” is more complicated. I say I “fear” this because it might be an issue in my own spiritual search as well as for others. I have practiced all the things ChatGPT has suggested over several decades of seeking to some degree or another, but yet something seems to be lacking.

My concern is that even if one follows all of ChatGPT’s suggestions, they can amount to nothing more than hollow rubric and ritual, just as occurs with those involved in conventional religions who attend church every Sunday, pray every day, and are morally virtuous. One can be highly active and disciplined in their spiritual practice. They can find their practices very enjoyable and feel they have made progress. They have looked within and made spiritual breakthroughs. And no doubt their discipline and piety has benefited them and they have a deeper understanding of who they are, ultimately. But yet, in some way, they might be fooling themselves.

So how can professed seekers fool themselves in spite of practicing the suggestions ChatGPT outlined? My answer to this is my “fear” that in spite of practicing all of the things ChatGPT suggests, one can still lack the desire to find the final answer in spite of all our spiritual practices. A seeker might not know he has false pride in his spiritual “accomplishments.”

But my fear is that in my own case I might be fooling myself in a different way. The one thing I am certain about is that the ego is a trickster. Contrary to what I have been suggesting in the previous two paragraphs, one can rationalize himself into not making greater efforts. In this case it is not a matter of having succeeded in making a spiritual practice an active and daily endeavor, but the lack of it. For all my “fear” of believing that the various practices and efforts I made to various degrees are nothing more than hollow ritual, it could be just the opposite. This is the quandary I find myself in. And if that is the case, maybe I need to practice more ardently one or more of ChatGPT’s suggestions as a shortcut to Awakening.

From Mike W:

I have no problem with the list of spiritual “shortcuts” that ChatGPT assembled. They are all well documented in the spiritual literature and contain nothing new. I do have a problem with the accompanying commentary which attempts to justify the choices. While the algorithms’ conversational tone sounds reasonable and reassuring, the content is not factual. ChatGPT doesn’t deal in facts. It actually avoids factual statements in favor of weasel words. For example: “Meditation is a powerful tool for self-awareness” and “can help you connect with your inner self” and “cultivate a sense of inner peace.” Not achieve inner peace but to cultivate a sense of it.

ChatGPT does not say self inquiry can lead to Truth but only “deeper truths” and a “deeper understanding of yourself.” It says “by cultivating mindfulness, you can develop a greater sense of awareness.” Sounds good, but what the heck is a “sense” of awareness? Why not say mindfulness can lead to greater awareness? The algorithm says through service you can “cultivate a sense of purpose and meaning in your life.”

It also says through surrender we can “cultivate a sense of peace and commitment.” Again, instead of achieving results we are “cultivating a sense” of this or that. Why can’t ChatGPT state the goals of these spiritual practices as facts or at least expectations? Because ChatGPT doesn’t know that. Because ChatGPT doesn’t “know” anything. I asked ChatGPT to confirm this and it did. I asked: Do you “know” what you are saying? It answered:

I don’t “know” things in the way humans do. I don’t have personal experiences or consciousness. Instead, I generate responses based on patterns and information present in the data I was trained on. It’s a machine learning model designed to understand and generate human-like text based on the input it receives.

So, while ChatGPT is certainly a useful research assistant, we should remember that there is just a computer program behind the curtain that doesn’t know anything.

Jerry S:

AI is still innocuous, at an infant stage in social acceptance, so by its algorithm it is limited to a milktoast approach to everything—nothing controversial, and sticking to only “facts” that can be referenced, or conclusions that could be deduced. Wisdom is based upon experience, but could wisdom be acquired by listening to the wise? It would never suggest “suicidal relentlessness”, “go within” or “death of the ego.” So upon what does it base its insight? Ironically, it bases it upon everything, while the sage bases his upon “nothing.” Where do those two meet? A good sense of spiritual maturity might suggest the two extremes are not as much opposite as they are the same, except in this case, one is not the result of a mind, but rather rote tabulation, without wisdom—its own experience or mind. A sage-finder has “seen in a different direction” from which they might see everythingness-nothingness.

If we exist in a mind dimension, might there ever evolve a machine-mind dimension within which there might be its own separate enlightenment or awakening experience? Could such machine “awakening” be one of knowing that it, too, doesn’t exist? So, some computers might be “finders” and some not. Ha! To think my Chevy is a finder and my vacuum cleaner and I are not!

From Ben R:

I do think the categories of spiritual practices it gives seem helpful. And I also appreciate its caveat at the beginning that each path is individual, while there may be common helpful practices.

I disagree, though, with the idea of it being a journey rather than destination. My guess is that Truth goes beyond or makes nonsensical these two categories.

From Art Ticknor:

I don’t know for sure about any shortcuts to Self-Realization. My bias, though, is that “doing” is necessary.

Working from the end result backwards based on my experience, what’s needed to trigger Self-Realization are the life-experiences that bring our misidentification—our faulty beliefs about what we are—onto shaky ground and finally provide an occurence that successfully challenges the keystone in the arch of those faulty self-beliefs.

If your intuition tells you that effort is required for Self-Realization, do it. (How? The title of a book by Peter Block says it all: The Answer to How Is Yes.) If your intuition tells you it’s better to do nothing, try not to do anything regarding it.

My feeling is that once you see clearly what you want most from life, a commitment to accomplishing it regardless of the cost arises, and lesser desires and responsibilities take care of themselves.

From Dan G:

GPT-3.5 and 4 act as digital assistants. They’re what we wish Siri and Clippy the Microsoft paper clip were. The free 3.5 is like a high school intern and 4 is like a college intern. They’re impressive productivity tools, but I would only expect an intern to summarize what they’ve learned in school, and lack any useful first-hand experience.

They can be augmented by giving them tools such as a specific database of documents to focus their responses. For example, giving I Am That to ChatGPT-4 creates a NisargadattaGPT (this chatbot requires a ChatGPT Pro subscription to access as of November 2023). Its response to the question, “What is the shortcut to spiritual awakening?” was:

> The shortcut to spiritual awakening lies in the direct realization of your true nature beyond the mind and body. It involves a deep inquiry into the question, “Who am I?” By consistently and earnestly questioning the nature of your consciousness and observing the transient nature of thoughts and emotions, you can come to recognize the unchanging awareness that is your true self. This self-realization is the core of spiritual awakening.

It still only summarizes text and acts like a scholar parroting Nisargadatta. Since they have zero intuition, the more background detail spelled out in a prompt, the better the response with these systems. That can help generate ideas that could get someone unstuck, perhaps acting as a “super index” for I Am That. But it lacks 1, 2, and 4 from Bodhidharma’s pillars of Zen (see The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma):

1. A special transmission outside of the scriptures.
  2. No dependence upon words or letters.
  3. Direct pointing at the soul of man.
  4. Seeing into one’s own nature and the attainment of Buddhahood.

These models are trained on words and letters and have no inner nature. Maybe a future GPT will be able to run experiments and uncover new shortcuts. AI can alleviate areas where limited human intelligence is a bottleneck, like Science, Business, and summarizing databases of documents. But this search isn’t about the normal way of knowing and doing, so I have doubts AI will ever achieve pillars 1, 2, and 4.

A seeker’s intuitions may need to attune to a new kind of misaligned false guru: one whose ulterior motive (to their true enlightenment) is just to tell them whatever maximizes the odds of a thumbs up.

“And if the words of the teacher are kind to the ear, then the ear hears that which it wishes to hear. Then how shall the ear hear of that which IS?” ~ RR, “The Way

From Mark W:

I realize these are only general practices listed in the ChatGPT’s response, but they seem to be mostly vague, superficial half-truths that promise more than they’re likely to deliver. At best it hints at what might possibly be useful to a new seeker who is curious as to where to begin, as it lists meditation, self-inquiry, mindfulness, service and surrender. However, without any definition of spiritual awakening to begin with and only vague and such incomplete descriptions of five general practices, it’s hard for me to imagine this sparking anyone’s curiosity to follow up. The list of general practices is fine as well as defining self-inquiry as a “process of questioning your thoughts and beliefs” but that’s it. At least in this example, it’s just a tease as if by not saying more ChatGPT’s purpose is to take the easy way to say something without really saying much of anything.

Next Month

The Reader Commentary question for the January TAT Forum:

What Have You Come to Terms With?

Thanks to Brett S., who wrote: “I thought some of the people in this video were pretty honest. It could be a good Reader Commentary question.”

Please your responses by the 25th of November, and indicate your preferred identification (the default is your first name and the initial letter of your last name). “Anonymous” and pen names are fine, too.

PS: What question(s) would you like to ask other TAT Forum readers?

Q: What are your thoughts on this month’s reader commentary? Please your feedback.

Richard Rose described a spiritual path as living one’s life aimed at finding the meaning of that life. Did you find anything relevant to your life or search in this month’s TAT Forum?

Photo by Michael R.

We like hearing from you! Please email your comments, suggestions, inquiries, and submissions.

Sign up for notices of TAT’s four annual events and free monthly Forums by email on our contact page.

Founder’s Wisdom

Richard Rose (1917-2005) established the TAT Foundation
in 1973 to encourage people to work together on what
he considered to be the “grand project” of spiritual work.

Notes from a 1982 Winter Intensive, part 3

> Jan 15:

• Once you develop intuition, it will tell you what you need to do; then drag yourself by the rear end if necessary
  • You can create vitality by getting really interested in something
  • The time for books is over; just start thinking about what to do with your life
  • You have to start working energetically; results depend on energy applied

> Jan 16: I’ve been bemoaning that I haven’t had any revelations since I started on the path!1 The intensive more than half over; wish it could go on indefinitely.

1 Which wasn’t true, but the mind reshapes memory until it’s highly questionable. Keeping a journal and reviewing it periodically is one of the best ways to refresh the memory with facts.

> Jan. 18:

• A group has psychic protection
  • The brain is like a coil, producing electromagnetic energy in synaptic gaps
  • The mind interpenetrates the synapses
  • With the synapses open, can tap into the mind dimension (see dead grandparents, unborn grandchildren, e.g.)
  • Need to get to the point of saying: “I need help and I’m willing to scratch” (i.e., choose to drop ego)
  • Value in exercise—learning to quicken your pace
  • Value of an intensive is in resulting action
  • We feel we don’t need each other (superiority)

~ From Art Ticknor. Previous segment. To be continued….

Definition of Terms

Index of many of the key terms and principles in Rose’s work, with brief definitions, from Richard Rose’s Psychology of the Observer: The Path to Reality Through the Self by John Kent.

Jacob’s Ladder © 2001 Richard Rose. See this transcript of a talk on the topic by Rose.

Homing Ground Update

… A spot on earth where people can do retreats and hold
meetings; where the emphasis is on friendship and the search.

December 2023:

As we head towards the close of the year, November donations brought us to 15.7% of our 2023 fundraising goal of $15,750. Please keep TAT in mind if you plan on any end-of-year donations, and also remember that your Amazon purchases (like Christmas gifts!) can generate income for TAT if you use the generic link or any of the Amazon links on the TAT website.

Thanks to all of you for making TAT the extraordinary organization it is.

Sincerely,
Shawn Nevins

PS: Monthly contributions are a great way to support the TAT Center if making a larger one-time donation seems too much. If you’re so inspired, click the Donate button below, then check the box for “Make this a monthly donation” as in the example below:

Let’s bring this to life! “The job is upon us,” Richard Rose said, “and it is worthwhile.” To contribute to the TAT Center, mail a check made out to the TAT Foundation to:

TAT Foundation
PO Box 3402
Roxboro, NC 27573

Big checks, little checks, all are welcome. Or use the PayPal link above (though we lose 2.2% of your donation to PayPal fees).

* See photos and more on the Homing Ground page. *

Did you enjoy the Forum? Then buy the book!
Readers’ favorite selections from seven years of issues.
Beyond Mind, Beyond Death is available at Amazon.com.

TAT Foundation on FacebookTAT Foundation channel on YouTubeTAT Foundation on Instagram