Forum

October 2023 TAT Forum

This month’s contents include:

Convictions & Concerns: Testing One’s Beliefs, by Tess Hughes.

TAT Foundation News: Including the calendar of 2023 TAT events and a listing of local group meetings and other activities led by TAT members.

Humor

Inspiration & Irritation

Reader Commentary: How do you perceive your path is going?

Founder’s Wisdom

A New Home for TAT update

Saturday, October 28, 2023
October TAT Talk
More information and registration

Knowing by Identity

A Friday to Sunday gathering
November 10-12, 2023
TAT Center, North Carolina, USA

Receive new-Forum notifications each month
(and keep them coming):

Read More

(As an Amazon Associate, TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through links on our website)

Convictions & Concerns

TAT members share their personal convictions and/or concerns

Testing One’s Beliefs

I recently listened to a podcast of The Free Press, in which J.K. Rowling talked with Megan Phelps-Roper.

Megan was formerly an outspoken member of the Westboro Baptist Church, which has been categorised as a hate group.

The title of their discussion is “What if you are wrong?”

While their discussion is to do with testing beliefs with a view to finding an authentic belief, I felt that the ideas they came up with as a way of testing ones beliefs could be useful to the self-inquirer.

I am writing this on the 25th anniversary of The Good Friday Agreement, the agreement which brought to an end or at least a ceasefire to a long bitter sectarian war in Northern Ireland. It is a testament to the fact that even those with entrenched, hostile, hatred filled beliefs and prejudices about others can come to question their own beliefs and attitudes. Regardless of how hardened ones beliefs are, if doubt can be injected into them a shift in attitude or understanding can occur.

In self-inquiry it is this possibility of bringing about a softening of our own hard-held beliefs and uncovering of unconscious beliefs or prejudices that paves the way forward to a more conscious awakened life.

Here’s a list of the checks, the questions that J.K. and Megan came up with, in my words:

• Are you feeling superior/self-righteous/good because of your position?
  • Is the position you are taking a game to you, like moving the pieces on a chess board? Is it a means of “outdrawing” others (how to shoot somebody who outdrew you. Leonard Cohen, “Hallelujah” )?
  • Is being right more important than being honest?
  • Does your position take account of real world suffering?
  • How do you know if you are really standing for something “valuable” or merely bending to the power of the mob/ the mainstream thinking/the pressure of your community, the need to belong?
  • Are you capable of entertaining real doubt about your beliefs or position?
  • Are you operating from a position of certainty? Do you feel a rush of adrenaline from stating or supporting your position? (Ego loves an adrenaline rush!)
  • Is your position unfalsifiable or can you articulate evidence that would change your position? What are you sure of, and what is the basis for your certainty?
  • Can you articulate the position or beliefs of the “opponent” in a way that they would recognise and agree with? (Can you articulate the fundamental idea of the “spiritual” teaching you are following, or the book you are reading in a way that the teacher/author would agree with?)
  • Are you attacking ideas or people? Is what you fear ideas or those who articulate them?
  • What is the most fundamental idea of your belief system? (That you are simply a human being? That death is unconquerable? That no-one can show/tell you anything about yourself?)

~ Thanks to Tess Hughes. Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels.com. Comments or questions? Please email reader commentary to the TAT Forum.

TAT Foundation News

It’s all about “ladder work” – helping and being helped

Richard Rose, the founder of the TAT Foundation, spent his life searching for the Truth, finding it, and helping others to find their Way. Although not well known to the public, he touched the lives of thousands of spiritual seekers through his books and lectures and through personal contacts with local study groups that continue to work with his teachings today. He felt strongly that helping others generates help for ourselves as well in our climb up the ladder to the golden find beyond the mind.

Call To Action For TAT Forum Readers

With the intention of increasing awareness of TAT’s meetings, books, and the Forum among younger serious seekers, and to increase awareness of ways to approach the search for self-definition, the TAT Foundation is now on Instagram.

You can help! A volunteer is producing shareable text-quote and video content of Richard Rose and TAT-adjacent teachers. We need your suggestions for short, provocative 1-3 sentence quotes or 1 minute or less video clips of people like Rose, Art Ticknor, Bob Fergeson, Tess Hughes, Bob Cergol, Bart Marshall, Shawn Nevins, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Paul Constant, & other favorites. (An example here is selected by the TAT member who volunteers to oversee the Instagram account.)

Please send favorite inspiring/irritating quotes—from books you have by those authors, from the TAT Forum, or any other place—to TAT quotes. If you have favorite parts of longer videos (ex: from a talk at a past TAT meeting), please email a link to the video and a timestamp.

Thank you!

TAT Foundation Press’s latest publications

Shades of Real: Poems in a World of Wonder

Shades of Real by Kevin Shuey is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Discover a captivating compilation of poems that gracefully ride the waves of each fleeting moment, inviting readers into moments of tranquil excitement and resounding quietude. Within these pages lie enigmatic verses that lead us to the very heart of our true selves, unraveling the profound mysteries that define us.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Pouring Concrete: A Zen Path to the Kingdom of God – Expanded Edition

Pouring Concrete by Bob Harwood is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Individuals who approach this book with receptivity and a readiness to scrutinize their culturally ingrained notions and convictions regarding the fundamental fabric of existence are likely to experience a multitude of profound insights. By embracing the diverse recommendations within these pages, one may unlock a series of existential revelations that have the potential to reshape their perspective on reality.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Random rotation of
TAT Foundation Books & Videos

The Celibate Seeker by Shawn Nevins

Read more: The Celibate Seeker by Shawn Nevins

2023 TAT Meeting Calendar

February Virtual Gathering: Saturday, February 4, 2023
April Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, April 14-16, 2023
May TAT Talks online event: May 13, 2023 at 12 PM ET
June Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, June 9-11, 2023
July TAT Talks online event: July 15, 2023 at 12 PM ET
August Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, August 18-20, 2023
September Virtual Gathering: Saturday, September 30, 2023
** October TAT Talks online event: October 28, 2023 at 12 PM ET **
November Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, November 10-12, 2023

See November TAT Gathering page for more details and registration. Comments or questions? Please email TAT Foundation events.

Photo of TAT’s open door by Phil Franta

TAT’s YouTube Channel

Have you seen the TAT Foundation’s YouTube channel? Subscribe now for spiritual inspiration (and irritation)!

Volunteers have been updating the channel with hours of new content! They’ve also curated some great playlists of talks by Richard Rose, teacher talks from recent & not so recent TAT meetings, episodes of the Journals of Spiritual Discovery podcast, and other great TAT related videos from around the internet.

Featuring: Richard Rose, Bob Cergol, Shawn Nevins, Bob Fergeson, Mike Conners, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Bob Harwood, Tess Hughes, Art Ticknor, Shawn Pethel, Tyler Matthew and other speakers.

This month’s video is Paul Constant’s talk “Shifting Our Attention” from a 2016 Triangle Inquiry Group retreat in North Carolina:

Local Group News

(Groups with recently updated information are listed first. Click the “read more” link to see a complete listing of local groups. )

Update for the Online Self-Inquiry Book Club:
> The next book is The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss by Michael Langford. The plan is to read 2 chapters at a time meeting first and third Sundays rom 2:00 PM ET–3:30 PM ET:
– Chapter 1 – The Imposter, and Chapter 2 – The Imposter’s Tricks for October 15th.
– Chapter 3 – The Imposter’s Tools and 4 – The Desire for Liberation for November 5th.
– Chapter 5 – How to Awaken the Extremely Intense Desire for Liberation and 6 – The Awareness Watching Awareness Discovery for November 19th.
For more information on book club participation, see the meeting website (link above).
TAT Forum readers are welcome to drop in any time (invitation to Sunday meetings).

Update from the Pittsburgh, PA self-inquiry group:
> In-person meetings 1st Mondays 2-4 pm in Oakland near the college campuses.
> Online group confrontation and individual contributions every Wed, 8:00 pm ET via Zoom.
> See the e-mail link below for invitations to all meetings.
– Mon, Oct 2: 2-4 PM In-person monthly Pittsburgh meeting.
– Wed, Oct 4: Caroline G will monitor results from our group’s one-week “Gurdjieff’s Daily Stop-Wake-up Experiment.”
– Wed, Oct 11: Lenny S. will host.
– Wed, Oct 18: Tyler M. returns addressing Limiting Beliefs.
– Wed, Oct 25: Shawn Pethel returns to address seeker questions & issues.
– Sun, Oct 29: Combined confrontation meeting with the Irish group 2-4 PM ET.
> All Forum subscribers are welcome to join us.
Email to receive weekly topics with preparatory notes and Zoom invitations. Current events are listed on Meetup as Pittsburgh Self-inquiry Group and on www.pghsig.org.

Read More

Members-Only Area

A password-protected section of the website is available for TAT members. (Note that there’s an occasional glitch that, when you try to link to the members-only area or a sections within it, you’ll get a page-not-found error. If you try the link a second time, it should work.) Contents include:

• How you can help TAT and fellow seekers,
  • Audio recordings of selected sessions from 2008–2019 in-person meetings and from February and November 2021 Zoom meetings,
  • Resources and ideas for those planning a group spiritual retreats,
  • Photographs of TAT meeting facilities, the Richard Rose grave site, a rare 1979 photo, and aerial photos of the Rose farm,
  • Presenters’ talk notes from April TAT meetings in 2005–2007, and
  • TAT News Letters from 1996–2013 and Annual Retrospectives from 1973 thru 2011. The Retrospectives from 1973–1985 were written by Richard Rose and are replete with ideas on the workings of a spiritual group—rich historical content.
  • TAT policies, TAT business meeting notes, and other information.

Latest recordings:

TAT’s November 2021 online gathering, titled What Do You Really, Really Want From Life?: 3.5 hours of selected sessions.

In Thought, Word and Deed : 2.5 hours of selected sessions.

TAT’s August 2019 Workshop was titled Beyond Mindfulness: Meditation and the Path Within and included three guest speakers who each led separate workshops. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Mindfulness. Is it just another spiritual buzzword?” with Bob Cergol,
  • “The Path of Direct Sensory Perception” with Bob Harwood, and
  • “The Art of Mindfulness is the Passion for Truth” with Paul Rezendes.

TAT’s June 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Between You and the Infinite. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Coming Home (aka The End of Seeking)” by Don Oakley, and
  • “What’s in the Way?” by Eshwar Segobind.

TAT’s April 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Once in a Lifetime is Now. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Recognizing the Human Dilemma” by Norio Kushi,
  • “Strategies for Self-Realization” by Bart Marshall,
  • Untitled session by Paul Hedderman, and
  • “A Session in the Now” by Paul Rezendes.

Please us if you have questions. (Look here for info on TAT membership.)

Amazon and eBay

Let your Amazon purchases and eBay sales raise money for TAT!

As an Amazon Associate TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through links on our website.

TAT has registered with the eBay Giving Works program. You can list an item there and select TAT to receive a portion of your sale. Or if you use the link and donate 100% of the proceeds to TAT, you won’t pay any seller fees when an item sells and eBay will transfer all the funds to TAT for you. Check out our Giving Works page on eBay. Click on the “For sellers” link on the left side of that page for details.

Downloadable/rental versions of the Mister Rose video and of April TAT talks Remembering Your True Desire:

Read More

Your Contributions to TAT News

TAT founder Richard Rose believed that working with others accelerates our retreat from untruth. He also felt that such efforts were most effective when applied with discernment, meaning working with others on the rungs of the ladder closest to our own. The TAT News section is for TAT members to communicate about work they’ve been doing with or for other members and friends. Please your “ladder work” news.

Humor {(h)yo͞omər}

“One thing you must be able to do in the midst
of any experience is laugh. And experience
should show you that it isn’t real, that it’s a
movie. Life doesn’t take you seriously, so why
take it seriously.” ~ Richard Rose, Carillon

Happy Halloween

Image by Coral from Pixabay

Less Condescending

~ Thanks to Michael R. Image appears on social media sites, source unknown.

Prisoners

~ Thanks to CoolFunnyQuotes.com.

Inspiration & Irritation

Irritation moves us; inspiration provides a direction

Being Lazy

TIME magazine article: Why Being Lazy Is Actually Good for You.

~ Thanks to Brett S. Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash. Questions posed by Brett:

Q: When do insights tend to come to you: when focused or unfocused?

Q: When doing nothing? Driving on the highway in light traffic? Reading a book? Watching a movie? Listening? Going for a walk? Dreaming? Daydreaming? Writing? Doodling?

I Unplugged Completely for Two Weeks…

And CRAZY Things Happened!

~ A 12-minute video by Mayim Bialik.

Be Stupid!

Japanese Zen master Bankei Yotaku (1622-93) never wanted anyone to become fascinated by anything other than our Infinite Nature. And so, when a monk stepped forth in a vast assembly and proudly told Bankei, “I diligently chant the Light Mantra night and day and my body emits rays of light,” Bankei replied: “Those rays of light of yours are nothing but the flames of the evil passions consuming your body”….

Bankei criticized fellow Japanese Zen teachers who hid their own failure to realize Unborn Buddha-nature with, instead, a mish-mash of confusing old Chinese-language koan-anecdotes, the “dregs and slobber of the Chan Patriarchs” as he called the ancient lore! And he chided the overly clever who are deluded by their own cleverness. “I tell my students, ‘Be stupid’!… What I’m talking about isn’t the stupidity of (mindless) stupidity or (clever) understanding. That which transcends stupidity and understanding is what I mean by stupidity.”

~ ZEN MASTER BANKEI ON OUR UNBORN TRUE-NATURE. Image of Bankei from Wikimedia Commons.

Avoidant Personality Disorder – How I Cured Myself

This 23-minute video is from a TAT friend who wishes to remain anonymous, who writes: “It is from the context of mental health healing, and avoidant personality disorder specifically, but its approach and method seems to me universal enough that it can be used for a wider variety of concerns and spiritual enough to be interesting in the TAT context. There might be other TAT forum readers with mental health issues or those without but who could still find benefit. I myself can testify that upon applying the described method I experienced a deep healing, on a level that I did not experience in 5 years of classical psychotherapy. The comments section also testify to the efficacy of the method.”

He later added: “I rewatched Curtis’s video and did his method again. My reaction is still pretty much the same: it’s amazing to find someone who overcame severe mental health problems by himself and with a relatively simple and quick method. The psychiatric system is not very good and mostly just manages the severest of symptoms, not even trying to heal people completely, so whenever I find someone talking about overcoming symptoms for good, I listen intently. For seekers, who are mostly aware of their own mental troubles, which may be of a lesser intensity than Curtis experienced but still of the same ‘flavour’, I believe the value of the message of the video is that these symptoms can be overcome and peace/well-being attained through introspective methods. Alas, even though I suffer from anxiety as did Curtis, his method does bring me relief and positive feelings, but only for a while. Hence, I am not proposing him as some sort of mental-health guru but just as inspiration.”

Please your thoughts on the above items.

Reader Commentary

Encouraging interactive readership among TAT members and friends

A reader wrote that what would make the Forum more interesting would be:

Hearing from people who are searching—and have questions instead of those providing endless advice and “answers.” What challenges they are facing. What their doubts and questions are. How they perceive their path is going. What they are doing in their lives. Where they think they will end up, etc., etc.

Can you help make the Forum more interesting?

The Reader Commentary question for the October TAT Forum comes from Bob Cergol:

How do you perceive your path is going?

Responses follow.

From Peter O’Doherty:

Honestly, it’s a question I try and avoid. Having spent years telling myself stories about how well or how poorly it was going, I’ve learnt to avoid this question. For me, any answer I tell myself is going back down the rabbit hole. Back chasing a dream. Caught up again in an internalised story of how close I am to the promised land. The closer I felt, the better I felt. Secretly enjoying a feeling of superiority. All the while trying to mask deep feelings of inferiority.

So truthfully, I’ve no idea. I’m not interested in the answer anymore. And when it tries to come back up, I try to ignore it.

From Dean F:

Honestly I’m struggling with the social dynamics. I have a strong inclination to be left alone and read the works of Rose by myself knowing full that those works say to find others to work with. So I push myself to the meetings knowing it’s good medicine even if I don’t like the taste of it.

From Sarah J:

I don’t perceive a spiritual path.

I undertake spiritual practices but I feel a conscious, ego-led ‘path’ is a myth we tell ourselves.

It seems to me that our material lives are inextricable from the spiritual, not separate conditions. And I feel myself as being drawn or led by something far beyond my small self — a longing, but I don’t know how, or why, or where I’m being led, or how I’m doing within this strange dance in which I don’t know the steps.

Tasking the ego with overcoming itself is absurd. Yet everything important, including in our material lives, requires at least a measure of it.

I just try to follow if I can but without ever being sure of anything.

From Mary H:

I am currently following my fascination which is creativity, painting ignites me inside … so I have been following a teacher called Michelle Cassou and her teachings of process painting also called point zero painting. I am currently doing a 7-day workshop in Taos, New Mexico. I’d done an online workshop but wanted to get deeper into the process. This is so pure, direct, beyond thought and words, trying to stay in the moment by moment and listen to intuition. Boy do you come face to face with your self, your limiting thoughts, prejudices, ego operating, because there is no escape … just you and the white paper, and the paint brush. And it’s wonderful when you see a block, like controlling what you paint because it needs to look nice, so on the paper you can break that boundary and make the ugly image that intuition is calling for, and on the paper become free of that control … and this filters through into my life, because I have physically done it on paper.

From Anonymous:

That’s a good question, and I have been wondering if truly going or if it is an ego’s subtle manipulation to be perceived it is going because you are doing meditation, reading spiritual books, doing self inquiry.

I am not sure how to know the path is going. However, there seems a difference since self-inquiry where something/my mind (?) is to remind my self on reactions, random thoughts, or to acknowledge thoughts, reactions not go on and on.

I am not sure if this difference would be a little sign for the path is going.

From Anima Pundeer:

I am assuming that finding Truth/Absolute is the end goal for this question. How do you perceive your progress when the goal is something that is beyond the realm of the mind/world dimension? Asking questions like, ‘Is this practice that has the promise of resolving all my life problems, really in line with my goal of realizing Truth, or is it keeping me stuck in life drama? Is this practice putting me in a slumber state or increasing that inner tension required to propel the vector to move?’ As a seeker, I didn’t know what would work or be helpful. But there is a voice of common sense, maybe intuition, that helps you to discern. Learning to hear that voice and trusting it is progress.

I can’t remember if I ever felt that I became good at meditation (since I believed that meditation is what leads us to enlightenment). Having a group of friends and a teacher helped me understand what ‘become your own authority’ meant. To me, this shows progression in the right direction, hopefully.

From Patrick K:

To try to answer this question as directly as I can I feel I need to break it down to two parts: 1.) Diminishment of the ego self, and 2.) Getting in touch with the longing for Self, for knowing Self, which incorporates the practice of Self-definition, trying to define and work with what I am seeing.

No. 1: I feel that the diminishment of the ego self is progressing along nicely. The groupwork along with trying my best to work with dreams are helping to prise open that defensive hard shell. Dreams, I want to point out, have been crucial to me, because they connect me with feelings that were previously beyond my experience. After all my best dreams, the message of the dream I already had intellectual knowledge of to a certain degree, but not the “feeling”. Like the dreams are working to bring my intellectual ideal into my state of being, a way of becoming. But the dreams don’t “cook up” things either, they are pointing at a truer way of knowing myself and illustrate things in a way that would be very difficult to argue with. There is something kind of beautiful about the dreams, too, which makes the heart ache to have seen and experienced them. I do notice major glitches in my personality still, but I feel the trajectory is good, and whatever props up will get ironed out accordingly and in due time. My rating of how well I am moving along on this part of the path is 7/10.

No. 2: Getting in touch with the longing for what I really want is tough going. My last dream gave me some kind of feeling of going “home”, which is the strongest “pull” toward something that I have felt so far. So I plan to keep going into that feeling and exploring that. The feeling that something is missing pulls at the longing; these two forces act on each other. If I stop distracting myself, artifically trying to fill that feeling of lacking something, those two forces would by themselves, I feel, start to reveal some direction/answers. I put “longing” and “Self-definition” in the same category because I feel that I have a “True Natural Identity” back there somewhere and trying to look for that, seek it out, define what that could be, is real tough work. My current belief about what I could be is that I am an awareness outside of “physical space and time”, on which my body/mind is dependent. [The awareness that I speak of is like a separate awareness which is also connected to the all encompassing awareness, like the Atman within the Brahman idea]. That scenario is my fundamental Identity, that I sense right now, but I am not conscious of it. Me in my body/mind world am only conscious of consciousness. My rating of how well I am moving along on this part of the path is 4/10.

From Jerry S:

Definition of Progress: “process of gradually improving or getting nearer to achieving or completing something.”

Definition of Sabotage: “the act of intentionally trying to stop someone from achieving something or to stop something from developing.”

Call me seeker, self-inquirer, spiritually minded — but I am a saboteur, slowly unwinding, deconstructing an elaborate fantasy. Despite many little ups and downs, the path is one of grinding, unwinding and watching.

From Art Ticknor:

I’d say that for the first dozen years of my search, I felt I was making progress. Then that was abruptly changed by a conviction of hopelessness that lasted for about 7 years. I remember feeling after 25 years that I was right back where I had started: walking in circles with one foot nailed down in a dark room. Friends told me that there had been lots of change, which I wasn’t seeing. In that final year, up to the final evening of a solitary retreat, I had no clear view of how close or far away I was to my objective.

From Brett S:

I once asked an older friend at a TAT meeting, “How is your search going?” In my memory, I kinda bounded up to him enthusiastically like we were coming back to school and I was asking how he spent his summer vacation. As I remember it he looked at me kinda warmly, openly, but with a seriousness, and said “I don’t even know whose search it is anymore.” I don’t think I can top his answer. Sometimes I try to compare my current state of mind with my state of mind a few years ago. I like to think I’m a little bit softer, more open to feelings, and generally “know” less than I did before. Whether any of this is progress would be a judgment from a mind that knows nothing experientially about Self-Realization or what it takes to get there. It is sort of comforting to believe it could happen at any moment.

Next Month

The Reader Commentary question for the November TAT Forum is:

Do you consider thinking and feeling to be complementary tools or opposing activities in knowing yourself?

Please your responses by the 25th of October, and indicate your preferred identification (the default is your first name and the initial letter of your last name). “Anonymous” and pen names are fine, too.

PS: What question(s) would you like to ask other TAT Forum readers?

Q: What are your thoughts on this month’s reader commentary? Please your feedback.

Richard Rose described a spiritual path as living one’s life aimed at finding the meaning of that life. Did you find anything relevant to your life or search in this month’s TAT Forum?

Fountain in Grindelwald, Switzerland, thanks to Wikimedia Commons.

We like hearing from you! Please email your comments, suggestions, inquiries, and submissions.

Sign up for notices of TAT’s four annual events and free monthly Forums by email on our contact page.

Founder’s Wisdom

Richard Rose (1917-2005) established the TAT Foundation
in 1973 to encourage people to work together on what
he considered to be the “grand project” of spiritual work.

Notes from a 1982 Winter Intensive

The following notes come from a journal I kept during an intensive retreat with Richard Rose from January 2nd through the 31st of 1982. The daily schedule began with silence from 6 AM until noon. We were to be out walking when the dawn broke each morning, fasting the first three days, then tea only before noon after the initial days of fasting. Coffee and tobacco were off-limits; one smoker couldn’t handle it and left. We worked outdoors from 1 to 5 in the afternoons—my main recall is of hauling huge tree trunks out of ravines and of splitting an endless supply of firewood. The farmhouse was heated by wood stoves in the living room, dining room, and a room that had been added for group meetings, where we gathered in the evenings. We usually started those evening sessions with an hour of “numbers exercises” that Rose had created to build intensity. They accomplished that, to the point where it would give me an instant headache to even think about doing them. 🙂

> Rose talk 1/6:

• Dawn and dusk are magical times … times of between-ness … they inspire moods (“eye of the soul”) … you can get gestalts, insights
  • New, massive perceptions can occur during mental dawdling
  • Be one-pointed in life—make life an obsession for finding out; mind will come around; revelations will occur at unexpected times
  • Be aware of moments of awakening and going to sleep; encourage the nostalgia mood
  • Between-ness occurs at moments of intense relaxation

> Rose 1/9:

• We’re in an emergency (“the great sleep is on”)
  • Once you see an obstacle, you have to act immediately
  • Live decisively, with a ways and means committee
  • Zen: reach wisdom through an attack on vanity
  • What we are is our meaning

~ From Art Ticknor. To be continued….

Definition of Terms

Index of many of the key terms and principles in Rose’s work, with brief definitions, from Richard Rose’s Psychology of the Observer: The Path to Reality Through the Self by John Kent.

Jacob’s Ladder © 2001 Richard Rose. See this transcript of a talk on the topic by Rose.

Homing Ground Update

… A spot on earth where people can do retreats and hold
meetings; where the emphasis is on friendship and the search.

October 2023:

September donations brought us to 12.5% of our 2023 fundraising goal of $15,750. Recall that TAT Center’s first floor air conditioning system went kaput in July and had to be replaced for close to $6,000. A few dollars a month from just a portion of you who read the Forum or enjoy visiting the TAT Center would make a big difference, so please consider helping out.

Thanks to all of you for making TAT the extraordinary organization it is.

Sincerely,
Shawn Nevins

PS: Monthly contributions are a great way to support the TAT Center if making a larger one-time donation seems too much. If you’re so inspired, click the Donate button below, then check the box for “Make this a monthly donation” as in the example below:

Let’s bring this to life! “The job is upon us,” Richard Rose said, “and it is worthwhile.” To contribute to the TAT Center, mail a check made out to the TAT Foundation to:

TAT Foundation
PO Box 3402
Roxboro, NC 27573

Big checks, little checks, all are welcome. Or use the PayPal link above (though we lose 2.2% of your donation to PayPal fees).

* See photos and more on the Homing Ground page. *

Did you enjoy the Forum? Then buy the book!
Readers’ favorite selections from seven years of issues.
Beyond Mind, Beyond Death is available at Amazon.com.

TAT Foundation on FacebookTAT Foundation channel on YouTubeTAT Foundation on Instagram